The Cope Company Salt recommends a coarse crystal salt be used in the AUTOBrine® System. Types of coarse water conditioning salts can be Solar Salt or White Crystal Southern Rock.
Why is this type of salt recommended?
- Better contact with the water is provided as a result of the salt crystal’s larger surface area, the coarse crystals provide a quick >90% saturation of brine.
- Maximizing brine production and efficiency, the coarse crystal salt extends the life of the internal pump used in the AUTOBrine®.
What Occurs when fine crystal salt is used?
- Fine salt is apt to cake, forming an almost solid block. When this happens it reduces the surface area of water to salt contact resulting in:
- Reduced saturation of the brine, typically 50-60% saturation
- Reduced efficiency of the brine solution
- Less than optimal regeneration of the water softener resin
- The size of fine crystal salt may allow it to accumulate in the pump, causing damage
Do certain industries require specialized salt?
- The Cope Company Salt has many pharmaceutical, laboratory, and food/beverage processing facilities that use the AUTOBrine® System and utilize non-food grade bulk coarse salt to produce brine for water conditioning systems.
- In many cases, when conditioned water is used as an ingredient or in a process, there can be additional purification steps applied, i.e. RO, DI or other filtration or polishing methods.